http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: Superman Returns

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Superman Returns

Well, I finally watched it!!! The Man of Steel has finally returned to the silver screens. All these tiresome years of waiting for a sequel of the 70s and 80s instalments of Superman has really paid off. I must say that Brian Singer really deserves the credit. He as managed to preserve Superman's persona in this 2006 rehatch rather well. What did it for me that John Ottman preserved the score and the soundtrack from John WIlliams' original compositions... For years, I had waited for an eventual return of the son of Jor-El on the silver screen.
Then finally, as the credit's roled, reminiscent of the old cinema credits... and the 'whooshing' effects when the movie starts... so... original. I tell ya... I had a tear in me eye when it started... so much emotion ... have been waiting all these years...

A 2 hour 33 minute feature of this sort can be quite a tiresome task for those whole does not have the experience of the Man of Steel originally, but I would say that this is a good family-oriented, 'good vs bad', 'right and wrong' sort of movie that all ages should go for this one.
Oh, of course, the iconic romance between Superman and Lois Lane really takes a form in this rendition. I guess there had to be a continuantion of that aspect of the movie. Sort of like, "I have moved on since you're gone" kinda cliche though. But I felt James Marsden and Frank Langella were side-lined a little. Those 2 coulda carried on their characters better. And Spacey... well, he was overrated in this one... Of course, kudos to Brandon Routh (as in 'south') for portraying the character of the 'mild-mannered reporter' at the Daily Planet and the hero in the red cape so well. I'd say that he is only second to the late Christopher Reeve...For those who rooted for Christine Aquilera, you'd probably realised he (Routh) was a back-up in the music video, What A Girl Wants.

All in all, Superman Return boasts a well rounded written script and with good directorship.

6 Commentsjavascript:void(0):

Blogger Unknown said...

WHAT?!?! You missed the finals and saw Superman Returns?!?!? Actually... I would have done the same hehehe... good to see that you enjoyed it... hope I will when I see it on DVD.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

I'll try to get you the dvd WHEN I can get a clear one... Hope to see you soon. My tickets are booked and paid... so,looks like my trip is imminent now...

5:34 PM  
Blogger Asther said...

Wah... bought tickets already to Maldives! I want to go TOO!!! *JEALOUS* ;P

Sigh... looks like I've to look for another teman to go watch the movie. Hmmm... Think DVD's better ler. Can watch with Uncle at home when he's free.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I'll wait till there's an original DVD... I'll try atleast... heheh... if I can't watch it on the big screen (IMAX... *sigh*) I'd rather wait for a pristine quality DVD....

Good to hear about the tickets... now get here already!

See you in paradise my good friend...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Asther, if you want I can go with you wan,... I really enjoyed the movie... feels like a kid again... about Maldives, if you can stowaway on the plane, I think my friend should have no problems accomodating you too... provided you don't get deported first... he he

And Aindhy, well, by the time I come over, I suspect the original DVD would be out... I hate to rub it in, but I watched the Superman in a THX cinema... wasn't IMAX, but thrilling enough nonetheless.... he he he

8:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Pete - I SLAP U AH! Why u so bad one!

Asther - I've got friends in immigration BUT you'll either have to bunk with Pete or me...

;) Cheers

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home