http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: Type-III Phaser Rifle Kit

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Type-III Phaser Rifle Kit


Yes. Another prop from the Star Trek universe. Call me a big kid, but I do really get surprised when I walk into a workshop and stumble upon stuff like this. I was at the My Sci-Fi Outpost at Cineleisure to see Kenny Gordvyn put the finishing touches to a rebel X-Wing fighter helmet prop when I saw this leaning against the wall. Yeah! The one Picard used to kick the Borg's ass in ST: First Contact.






In the meantime, I learned that sandpaper could make something look worn and weathered. Kenny is my kit building si-fu. He's been tinkering around with model kits for years. Somewhat of a maestro of kit building and a paint expert. Many hobbyists have sought his counsel in the area of plastics, resin and vinyl kits. Planes, trains and automobiles and of course, starships!

Coming back to the subject, this is a resin model of a Starfleet Type-III Phaser Rifle, a standard compliment in Starfleet vessels from 2373 onwards. Being resin, it's solid and does not creak when being maninpulated. It's around 80 per cent of the 'real 'sized weapon is one of 3 known variants.













Still, whoever put this together could have taken more time doing it. The rifle only has a dummy targeting scope; no sight and no lights. I read there are after market parts to form a functional scope. The beam intensity and beam width buttons are incomplete and the power settings indicator was not detailed. Could have drilled a chamber to house some electronics. Painting detail on this model could have been better. The surface is rough and the paint job uneven. The parts weren't assembled together properly with some misalignment and unpolished corners. Not to mention, the entire piece wasn't sanded down properly to get rid of the undulations and moulding marks. What a waste. If I could take possession of this kit, I'd do a complete repainting job to do it some justice, after having consulted Kenny no doubt.

Labels: ,

6 Commentsjavascript:void(0):

Blogger CFC said...

I am not sure about the rifle but as far as I know, there were only three in Malaysia, with me being one of them. It was a joint-group purchase with the Star Trek fans in Singapore. The initial picture of the original rifle was impressive but when it was recasted........

Anyway, to cut the story short, Nex had to do a lot of "cleaning" up and also to strengthen it as the resin slush was not uniform. Moreover, there was a lot of work to make sure the pieces look "OK" and still passable. But this rifle on resurfaced again due to the latest movie where the owner was too busy and thus decided to run it over with a silver spray can instead. And So, I guess you're holding that one. Heh.

I was so disgusted with mine, I really lost the interest to continue with the electronics although its now 80% complete for the prototype.

2:18 AM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hmmm... and the plot thickens. Kenny and I were wondering how this rifle came about. We speculated it was Alan's paintwork. Well, it you're not too keen on keeping yours any longer, have it beamed to me. I will see what I can do to make something entertaining of the kit.

3:19 PM  
Blogger CFC said...

No problem. Actually, in the long run, I want to see if anyone has the skills to make the prop and then cast it better. There is one member who still has the "original" model in Singapore but I am not sure if he is keen to let it go. He brought it here 2 years ago and thats when I saw it, I was so depressed when I got mine.

Still, the electronics are ready but not the sound. One day, have to convert it to a proper circuit board.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Dhana Jay said...

hello there bro Peter,

sorry if im commenting in the wrong blogpost, but im wondering about your Playmates ST2009 Enterprise ship; where did you purchase one and for how much? i have the AA/DST Enterprises but it seems AA/DST wont be making the 2009 Ent anytime soon..

thanks!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Peter said...

Hi Evanrue,
I got my ST 2009 Enterprise for about RM220.00 from My Sci-Fi Fan Outpost at Cineleisure, the Curve (next to Cathay Cineplexes). I believe there are a few more left. When you get there, see Richard or Kevin. Hope this helps you get your ship!

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for an thought, you sparked at thought from a angle I
hadn’t given thoguht to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.


Here is my website: trying to conceive tips

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home