http://www.blogger.com/logout.g Lex Petros: My Iphone Experience

Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Iphone Experience

You can hardly walk the streets these days without noticing someone poking away at their mobile devices or reading the news on a smart phone. Ipads and tablet computers included.
The age of the personal communication devices is here and the possibilities are endless. We now can stay connected with our loved ones and friends with a touch of a button or the stroke of a keypad. The world became smaller with latest reports from news agencies globally. Our daily schedule and activities can be diarised with ease.
For me, I chose to acquire the latest Iphone for the fact I travel to work via train these days. The half hour journey becomes mundane. So, what a better way to break that monotony than staying in touch with my friends and keeping updated with world events.
The apps (applications) made available enriches the experience. I have apps to tell me places to go for food, clothes, accessories and other needs. Apps to book cinema tickets and flights. Apps to help you navigate through major malls in the city. Also a pocket bible. Only the tip of the iceberg when you look at a world of 100,000+ apps available now.
On the way to and from work, I read the news of CNN, AlJazeera, BBC and Fox. Discovery and the Star is optional. A quick glance at facebook and a verse or two from the pocket KJV bible. There's also food for thought apps and humour at the push of a button. Quick references are available: an app for financial terms, a law lexicon, a currency converter, an online dictionary and thesaurus. Useful apps.
You will be spoilt for choice when it comes to games, entertainment apps and fun apps. I have a myriad of games, from shoot-em-ups, strategies, IQ oriented and childish ones. They keep you and your friends entertained.
When necessary, I can check my personal emails. Of course, pushing mails on an Iphone pales in comparison to what a Blackberry can do. I don't push mails, so I don't have the need for one yet.
Just the other day, a bunch of Pakistanis were looking for Thai Airways. Retrieving the address and phone numbers took less than 2 minutes. Imagine the days when all these wireless devices were non-existent and no one knew what 'Google' is.
Of course, there are some disadvantages. Obvious one would be at meet ups and functions, where you will almost certain notice that friend of yours looking down at his device and behaving very anti-social. The facebook update addiction and the text messaging marathons can somewhat disconnect a person from the 'real' world.
Whatever the arguments for or against, I am very fulfilled by a smart phone which I think have helped enriched my thoughts.

Labels: ,